Updated: Jun 30
I am Priyadharshini, a passionate Speech-language pathologist. After my high school, I chose the stream of speech and hearing so that I can deal with people who have communication disorders and be a facilitator in improving their quality of life. I had always considered the process of rehabilitation to be a level higher than surgeries and medications. We as SLPs work on a person’s speech, language, communication, and swallowing skills which are most essential for any human being. Hence, SLPs take pride in playing a major role in improving the quality of life of an individual with communication disorders and their parent/ caregiver’s quality of life.
- I did my Bachelor in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology (BASLP) from Tamilnadu Dr. MGR Medical University Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India. I was a university rank holder and topped the course during my UG.
- I further pursued my Masters in Speech-language pathology from the All India Institute of Speech and Hearing (under Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Government of India), Mysore, Karnataka, India. I received various gold medals for my academic excellence (check: https://starofmysore.com/aiish-graduates-urged-to-make-health-for-all-a-reality/)
- I am passionate about research in speech and hearing, which had paved the way for various national and international scientific publications in reputed journals. I also have the experience of being a reviewer for a few scientific publications.
- I always have a passion for collaborative research works in the field of speech and hearing. This passion has driven me to carry out research studies with field experts from other parts of the world. Some of my works were presented at 52nd Annual Meeting of the Society for Mathematical Psychology and the 17th Annual Meeting of the International Conference on Cognitive Modeling joint conference held in Montreal, Canada July 19-22, 2019 and at Boston University 44th Annual Boston University Conference on Language Development on November 7–10, 2019, Unites States of America.
- During and after completing my qualifications, I have dealt with many individuals who were diagnosed with various communication disorders from all age groups.
- Currently, I am working as a consultant speech-language pathologist in Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India. I also undertake online speech, language and swallowing therapy sessions. The idea of tele-speech therapy popped up in order to make speech, language and swallowing therapeutic services available to those in need of remote professional help across the globe.
Received Best research poster award at the 4th Tamil Nadu chapter of Indian speech and hearing association (TAN-ISHA) conference held at Yercaud, Salem, Tamil Nadu, India.
Received Smt.T V Alamelu gold medal, Dr. R. Sundar gold medal, Smt. Jayalakshmi gold medal, Dr. P.D.Manohar gold medal and Friends United Organization Endowment cash award as a student.
Certified as Speech language pathologist and Audiologist by Rehabilitation Council of India (RCI).
Life member of the Indian Speech and Hearing Association (ISHA).